The airship saga that never happened
Stranded citizens seek to return home

Trekking Goilala in the 1979-80 drought

Tapini airstrip 1972 (Graham Syphers)
Tapini airstrip, 1972 (Graham Syphers)


YUNGABURRA, ATHERTON TABLELANDS - Just two months after I started work in Papua New Guinea in 1980, the wet season in Central Province stopped abruptly in mid-March and it did not rain again until December.

The rainfall records at Laloki Plant Quarantine and Horticultural Research Station went back to its establishment in 1949. The average rainfall was 1,500mm, which to an Australian is a lot of rain.

But the year before I arrived, 1979, was the driest year on record with only 600mm; and just 900mm was recorded in all of 1980.

So I walked into two years of drought conditions and many of the people of Goilala began to walk to Port Moresby and its town water.

Their graffiti was all over town, most notably ‘GOIPEX 105’, the tag of a notorious raskol gang. Martyn Namorong has written that, at the time, the Goilala were among the most marginalised people in PNG.

With the Independence long weekend coming up in September 1980, I signed up for a walk with the Port Moresby Bushwalking Club from Woitape to Tapini. It would be my first trip into the Goilala.

Early on a cloudless but windy Friday morning, seven of us with packs and gear took off in a Central Air Services Islander from Jacksons to Woitape – ahead of us a four-day walk.

After about 40 minutes the young Australia pilot was circling over Woitape but the airstrip was not visible due to low cloud.

Instead we flew a bit further west and landed at Fane’s steep strip, disembarking outside the mission station where a large group, including the Catholic priest, met the plane.

I took some time to go inside the bush materials church and was stunned by the beauty of the decorations on the walls.

As we were readying to start our walk from Fane rather than Woitape, the pilot received a message that the strip at Woitape was open.

We jumped back into the plane and took off down the steep incline and cruised low over the hills to Woitape. 

With only a few hours of daylight left and an estimated four hour walk to Kosipe we wasted no time and started our trek uphill to Kosipe Mission.  The track had been built as a mule trail and we were to follow it for most of the next four days.

In 1956, Father Alex had been sent by the Catholic Church to establish the mission.  At the time of our visit he was back in France having a hip replacement but the brother in charge allowed us to stay in Fr Alex’s house for the night.

It was built in the style of a chalet. The library had a large collection of Asterix and Tintin books, all in French. At one end was a smokehouse where he could cure meat from his herd of goats, cattle and horses.

Goilala childrenGoing through a box of old photos recently I came across this one of four children squatting in front of a cross outside the priest’s house. 

Fr Alex being a practical man had used the cross to suspend a pipe carrying water from a spring down to his house.

The Catholic missionaries opened up the Goilala using pack horses and mules and there was an extensive network of trails throughout the region to make travel and supplying the missions easier.

By 1980 some of the bridges on these trails had rotted away and landslides had taken out the graded track.

Rather than following the contours to build a new route the villagers constructed tracks that went straight up the mountains and down the other side - what we termed ‘Goilala Specials’.

Leaving Kosipe we had a long day ahead of us and a high pass to negotiate before arriving in the village where we were to spend the night.

For some reason the haus kiap was not available so we were given a house that had been used by the village pigs.  The entrance was a tiny hole which was not a problem for the small statured villagers but a tight squeeze for us.  I certainly would not fit through today.

Although the villagers had cleaned the house for us, it still smelled of the pigs, which all night long tried to break through the walls. 

Lighting a cooking fire inside filled the space with smoke but we had some butane stoves and cooked our rice and bully beef before falling asleep after the exhausting day’s walk.

Next day we reached another village from where we could look over the valley to Tapini government station.

The house in this village was much more comfortable and, with an early start we began the steep descent to the river below and an even steeper ascent to Tapini, where we slept in a teacher’s house near the bottom of the airstrip.

At the other end of the strip the Tapini Hotel was open and the thought of a cold SP put some energy into my tired legs for a trek to the top of the station and the hotel.  Judging by the hangover I was suffering on the balus next morning plenty of cold ones had been consumed.

The young pilot of the Islander had only been in PNG a short while and this was his first flight to Tapini without a check pilot on board. 

We took off down the hill and soon after takeoff banked to the right and started the climb to get over the range. 

Cloud descended soon after take-off and, after circling for what seemed a long time, the pilot spotted a gap in the clouds and we headed for Woitape to wait for the weather to clear. 

The Owen Stanley Lodge at Woitape was operating and a popular weekend destination for visitors from Moresby.  At 1,500 meters above sea level the climate was cool and ideal for vegetable production.

The aroma of brewing coffee was too compelling and we encouraged the pilot to let us have some breakfast and finish our coffee before heading once again to Jacksons airstrip in Port Moresby.

The droughts of 1979 and 1980 caused severe food shortages in the Goilala.  In 1982 another group walked from Fane to Bakoidu and found that all the villages on the route were abandoned.

A road to Tapini was opened soon after I was last there but has never been regularly maintained.  There is huge potential for food production in those highland valleys of Goilala which are so close to Port Moresby.

In 1980 strawberries were introduced to Woitape with support from a New Zealand Aid project and they flourished but flying them to Moresby was too expensive. Coffee can also be grown but, without reliable road access, the beans just rot on the ground.

It is to be hoped that money can be found to maintain rural roads throughout PNG so people can grow crops and get them to markets and ensure their livelihood.

I have not been back to the Goilala since 1983. The only people left in the villages at that time were the old and very young.

There were six airstrips serving the Goilala back then but the third level airlines flying into these remote areas have largely disappeared and many of the airstrips have closed due to lack of maintenance. 

The expatriate priests have all departed and some missions such as Kamulai have been abandoned following the murder of a priest.

But I’ll never forget that adventure in the drought of 1980.


Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Arthur Williams

I’d been nearly 20 years in PNG by the time of that drought.

On Lavongai Island I have never seen so much of the sago swamps on fire as some idiots intentionally or otherwise destroyed a lot of this vital emergency food source.

It was great to walk from Magam through the dried out swamp onto Nusavung rather than the normal knee deep muddy ‘track’.

One night during the drought I experienced the coldest night ever on the coast.

Ian Robertson

No Drought in ’62

At Easter 1962 I took the opportunity to fly into Tapini to catch up with my old mate Glen (Hunk) Thompson who was the Head Teacher at the school there. I was posted to Iduabada Tech at the time.

The Patair Piaggio landed safely in the late morning and all was well until the rain started just after lunch.

Unfortunately for me (and later on, certain other chalkies) the grass strip had a 10 point/24 hour closure in place at the time.

The next day we were told that it could be up to 10 days before the strip reopened due to the amount of rain that had fallen overnight.

No worries for the long weekend - but when school resumed I was still many miles from my posting. I used the station radio to call the District Education Office in Moresby to advise of my predicament and was told to work at Hunk’s school until my return to Moresby - but to then report straight away to the DEO.

Result of this meeting - Roger Hunter transferred from Tubusereia to Tapini, Thompson to Aroma (near Kupiano), Ian Powell to Idubada and me to Tubusereia. (I recall that Richard was posted to Aroma in 1964.)

So, a drought that year would have changed the course of my history. In retrospect, I am happy that I spent the very wet, very long weekend at Tapini.

Ex-kiap Andy Anderson established the hotel/guest house and it was indeed the place of many drinks. My recollection is that Des Fitzer was the OIC at Tapini when I went back again in 1965. I am not sure who was OIC in 1962.

Richard Jones

You were a late lad onto the PNG scene, Graham. 1980 indeed. Most of my 1963 education officer intake had left by 1975 - or Christmas 1976 by the latest.

But I'll never forget the Tapini airstrip. It was in the late sixties when I visited.

On take-off and at the bottom there, in between the chasms, the pilot made a sharp right-hand turn after starting at the top with engines churning on full revs. He just got airborne as the strip ended.

From memory I think it was a Piaggio, distinguished by its rear facing propellers.

While the take-off was terrifying, the landing a few days earlier wasn't too bad. The uphill slope enabled the plane to slow down more comfortably. For the passengers - certainly.

There was in-house entertainment in the little Tapini settlement. The resident Patrol Officer was very, very keen on an evening drink and late in the night he'd regale us with his patrolling tales.

From memory I think his name was Anderson. Christian name escapes me.

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been saved. Comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by the author. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.


Post a comment

Comments are moderated, and will not appear until the author has approved them.

Your Information

(Name and email address are required. Email address will not be displayed with the comment.)